Harry Potter – Unanswered Questions Answered
The book has been out a couple of weeks now and, based upon the comments I’ve read there are still some questions people want answered. Therefore I have collected together my thoughts, along with those of others (thanks to the commenters on the previous posts).
As an aside, for those who haven’t seen it, there is also a transcript of an interview available where JK goes over the post Deathly Hallows stuff. She talks about the lead characters and what they do with their lives, clearing up a lot of the issues people had with the epilogue. Personally I think it would have been nice if more of this was mentioned in the book itself.
Harry Potter Questions Answered
- What significance did the colour of Lily Potters eyes have? Snape cared for Harry – at least in an indirect way. The reason? Snape was in love with Harry’s Mum, Lily. Shortly before Snape dies he asks Harry to look at him, presumably so that he can look into Harrys eyes – the eyes that famously look just like his Mums. Snape would do anything to protect Lily, and just as much to protect her last living relative.
- Why did Moody, and Fred (or was it George) have to die? These two characters needed to die. Moody had to go for a variety of reasons, firstly something was needed to increase bad feeling towards Voldermort and his cronies, and secondly, if he hadn’t died then he would most likely have gone with Harry, Ron, and Hermione to hunt for the Horcruxes. Fred died because JK decided to save Arthur Weasly who was originally planned to pass away. Why did Fred (or Arthur) have to die? Simply because Molly needed the motivation/ incentive to lay the smack down on a certain Bellatrix Lestrange.
- How did Gryffindors sword appear in the final battle? Ok – this ones a guess, but I reckon it’s a goodun. Dumbledore once said “Help will always be given at Hogwarts, to those who really need it”, and Neville clearly needed help, and he was with the sorting hat at the time, the same place Harry got the hat in the Chamber of Secrets. (update : I wrote this before reading the Rowling interview linked at the start of the post – I’m correct )
- Who are Victoire, Ted and the other children mentioned in the Epilogue? Victoire is Bill and Fleurs daughter, Ted is Lupin and Tonks son. FWIW unlike his dad Ted isn’t a werewolf but a Metamorphmagus like his Mum. Harry and Ginny have 3 children – James, Albus Severus and Lily, and Ron and Hermione have two, Rose and Hugo (not sure what significance those names have?).
- Why didn’t Harry use the killing curse “Avada Kedavra”? I’d have thought this one was obvious. Harry is not a bad person, that’s what differentiates him from Voldermort – even in their final duel Harry doesn’t, instead trying to disarm the dark lord. Good Triumphed over Evil.
- What was the baby thing in Harrys “dream”? The baby was the part of Voldermorts soul that was living in Harrys scar.
- What was the silver stuff coming out of Snapes head? I’d have thought this one was obvious but I’ve seen it asked so thought I’d mention it. This silver stuff is Snapes memories and the reason Harry can look into Snapes past in the Pensieve.
Harry Potter Questions Unanswered
Unfortunately I still have some questions that need answering and I have no answer to – so maybe someone out there does?
- Why did Ron have to disappear for a couple of chapters? I understand why he got upset but there didn’t seem to be any big reason why he should have done what he did. All I can think is that Rowling wanted to have a use for the “putter outer” beyond putting stuff out.
- Why/ when did Lupin and Tonks die? Maybe I missed the bit where there deaths were mentioned but I could have sworn they were fine one minute and dead the next. Nothing in between. I can understand Moody and Fred (as mentioned above) but Lupin and Tonks?
Any more for anymore?
Come on then… what have I missed?