I decided to go through the competition entries carefully, and read a number of posts from each site before announcing the winners, hence the delay - but finally I have reached a decision.
Originally there were to be 3 finalists, but so many good sites were submitted that I've picked the ones that interest me most and listed them below. All these sites will be placed in the blog roll on my site when it finally gets completed, and have also added them all to my feed reader.
- Blog-Op - I've actually been reading Blog-Op for a while. I won one of Chris's competitions and decided to add him onto my blog roll anyway. So Chris is through by default
- thepinkc - I really like the design of the pink c (is that meant to be the pc, made girly?), and the content is pretty good too. The most recent post, Geek Girl: Google to School, is all about Google applications and how they are slowly replacing desktop applications, and I have to agree. I have been moving to Google over the last couple of years too. I use many of the apps, and will most likely do a write up on what and why later on.
- Net Writing - a site about writing for the web. I like that Tejvan (aka Richard?) recently wrote a critical post examining what works and what doesn't work on his site. Looking at your own work objectively is a hard thing to do, and I agree with his 10 points - will be good to see if he implements them all.
- JazJaz features lots of snippets of craziness, and fun things that I enjoy. Many are geeky, but all are good, the most recent is particularly interesting to me... it's the preview for the new series of Heroes - I can't wait!
- Pro Blog Design covers the design of blogs. Michael, the author, seems to have set the site up as a platform for conversation, giving his opinion and then asking for the thoughts of others. I don't always agree with what he writes but I do like to read the conversations that ensue.
- Connor Wilson is a talented young web designer, who is currently running a series of posts about how to better your blog in a week.
- Gnorb.net is an eclectic mix of Gnorbs musings and observations on life.
- Josh Buckley is another young entrepreneur (why do I feel so old?) from the UK and this is his blog. Funnily enough he actually posted a rather amusing video that I first saw today - and the rest of the site is pretty interesting too.
- Blogtrepreneur is a site I have been reading for a little while now, Adnan even interviewed me recently, but please don't think that either of these things influenced anything...
This was hard to choose but in the end I went for the site that entertained me the most. This is possibly an unexpected choice, since most of the sites submitted were blogging related, but I like to have fun and the winner had the largest percentage of posts that entertained me. So well done JazJaz - thanks for entering - and look forward to your review some time in the future
It was very interesting reading ALL the sites submitted and I am really pleased that so many people had the desire to write about my little site. Thank you.