For designers like myself this is a lot of new concepts to learn, the vast array of options can be overwhelming so you can do what I do and ignore it. I work for myself, on my own projects, so I don’t really need to learn it.
But then WordPress is moving heavily towards React, so maybe I should?
I keep saying I will learn React but I haven’t had a need so I haven’t done anything about it. With Gutenberg getting ever nearer I feel I should actually start learning, and so I’ve been collecting tutorials for learning React. Obviously I haven’t been following them, but I will do one day!
Instead of actually learning React, I have been compiling a list of tutorials & resources on getting started with it, so that I have something to start with when I decide to get started properly. That list is below.
- ReactJS Hello World – the official React docs.
- ReactJS Tutorial – make a simple TicTacToe game.
- React from Zero – A ‘simple’ React tutorial that doesn’t need compilation.
- Beginners guide to React (pdf)
- React Starter Kit – Get started online with Glitch (Glitch is like Codepen but with a server).
- You got this – A web makers magazine, from Glitch. This edition focuses on React.
- Build a Chat app with Scrimba – A real time learning platform.
If you know of any good, free, resources then please do let me know in the comments or on Twitter.
Ben is a lifelong Nintendo fan who also likes to build websites, and develop games. He also buys way too much Lego.