So I continued experimenting with my experimental iPhone game from over a week ago.
In the video below you can see the progress I have made.
- I added a very simple graphic for the character you are protecting. I thought this was a good indicator of the art style I will likely go for.
- I created a level structure, so that you can have different levels with different waves of enemies
- I create a method for creating different types of enemies. Adding new enemies is now very simple, however they have different properties (size, speed etc) but all have the same behaviour. I want to try to make them more interesting so in the future will add different movement patterns as well.
- An interstitial between levels. Eventually there will be a ‘wave select’ screen so that you don’t have to start from the beggining every time you play.
- Improved the particle system to make it more flexible.
Next thing to do is to add a lose scenario. Give the protected character (he needs a name) some health and a way to die. Then a game over screen.
Ben is a lifelong Nintendo fan who also likes to build websites, and develop games. He also buys way too much Lego.